Subject: Linksys NSLU2 port
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 02/28/2006 21:12:52
Hi,

The subject of a NetBSD port to the Linksys NSLU2 has been brought up a=20
couple of times before, and I've been considering buying one for a=20
while too.

I finally got hold of one on Saturday, and spent a bit of time over the=20
weekend modding it (serial console, 266MHz core clock), and porting=20
NetBSD.

The resulting port has now been committed to NetBSD-current under=20
sys/arch/evbarm/nslu2 (evbarm seemed to be a suitable dumping ground,=20
given the simplicity of the port). The README in that directory gives=20
more details, but to summarize:

The NSLU2 (Network Storage Link for USB 2.0 Disk Drives) is a small,=20
cheap NAS device consisting of an Intel IXP420 (Xscale) CPU, a=20
10/100mbit Ethernet port, and two USB 2.0 ports. It has 32MB of SDRAM=20
and 8MB of Flash memory, and runs RedBoot/Linux out of the box.

"cheap" in this context means around =A350 (UK pounds)...

Lots more information on the NSLU2 itself is available from the guys=20
over at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

So if anyone likes the idea of playing with NetBSD on a very small=20
Xscale system, now's your chance. :)

Cheers, Steve