Subject: Re: Few questions about the TS-7200
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore64@alkyltechnology.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/17/2005 19:45:26
Jesse Off joff@embeddedARM.com wrote;

> It just so happens the FIS space in redboot is a convenient place for a
> NetBSD gzimg.
>
> (Now I just wish gzimg's would enable the L1 ARM caches so
> uncompressing the kernel wouldn't take so dang long...)

I've spent significant efforts for ARM SoC this year, in specific KS8695
and MC9328, and concluded that it's important for bootloader to
prepare address space and enable MMU as soon as possible.  Cacheless
CPU is an awful beast.  Personally I doubt the usefulness of RedBoot.
The source is just terrible and 2MB runtime overhead is near non-sense.
I built home-grown bare bootloader with LIBSA.  Even with NFS
downloading facility (HAPPY) the total program size is less than 64KB
and at most 128KB runtime.  I estimate 128KB or so of program when
I add more conventional functionalities.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology