Subject: Few questions about the TS-7200
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/14/2005 14:14:06
Howdy all,

I recently received a brand-new TS-7200, and I've gotten NetBSD 3.0-RC6 up
and running on it.  I have a few potentially dumb observations/questions:

- The install documentation for evbarm/TS7200 seems to be missing a few
  pieces, and has a few typos in it.  Specifically .... the kernel name
  to place on the flash is "gzimg_TS7200_flash_0x60660000", but it's
  really "gzimg_TS7200_wd0_flash_0x60660000".  That's a minor thing,
  and I could fix that in the INSTALL document if no-one minds.

  Several suggestions are made to look at the RedBoot documentation ...
  I did try to find it, but I couldn't find anything that corresponded
  exactly to the version that the TS-7200 uses.  For example: I was
  trying to figure out how to set the gateway IP address for RedBoot.
  "ip_address" sets the IP address, netmask, and "default server", but
  doesn't seem to have a way to set the default gateway.  The RedBoot
  documentation I saw on the web mentions a "-d" option to configure a
  DNS server, but that doesn't exist in the TS-7200's RedBoot.

  I admit that these are minor things; I was able to get NetBSD up and
  running without too many problems, but I just wanted to mention them.

- RedBoot boots the kernel from the flash.  Am I right that the only way
  to update this kernel is to load it in from another system via
  RedBoot?  (I see RedBoot can load from the CF card, but I suspect
  that's only EXT2).  Has anyone tried putting a traditional boot block
  into flash and booting from that?  I suppose writing a driver for the
  flash might be a way around this.

--Ken