Subject: Re: -pmap initlialization
To: None <kamalp@acm.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/10/2005 23:34:10
On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 22:57:28 PST, "Kamal R. Prasad" wrote:
> I found out the problem. It was a result of difference
> in address range for I/O peripherals between lubbock
> and my vendor-specific board.

Excellent.  I know how frustrating these types of bugs can be to track
down.

> There is at least one
> invalid comment in lubbock_machdep.c
>          * The first level page table is at
> 0xa0004000.  There are also
>          * 2 second-level tables at 0xa0008000 and
> 0xa0008400.
> --------------------------------------
> The first level page table is at 0xa01fc000 (just 16K
> short of where the kernel is loaded aka 0xa0200000).

This may be a cut-and-paste error.  The machdep code has been cloned many
many times and each time it gestates just a little bit more.  It's a pity
it can't be done in a more maintainable manner, but sometimes these things
are just too different...

I suggest you either knock up a patch and post it here, or file a PR
describing the errors.

> I may have some suggestions on improving the code
> -depending on how interested the powers-that-be are in
> checking in my suggestions.

Suggestions are always welcome; patches even more so :-)

Richard.