Subject: Re: mods for proposed port 'tsarm' (now committed)
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore64@alkyltechnology.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/27/2004 14:34:33
Jesse Off joff@embeddedARM.com commented;

> You can't treat flash chips like a regular block device and need
> to do clever things like wear-leveling, bad-block management, and ECC in
> software.

True, but that's not such the big deal I believe.   Back to the days when
Winchester HD was appearing in market, bad block management was a
part of device driver and filesys layer.  bad144(8).  Do you remember the
list of known bad block numbers printed on HD enclosure?  Acceptance of
SCSI technology HD has evolved into the guranteed "zero-fault" recording
media.  So bad block management is just a re-do of old-days effort.

I guess DOS filesys won't die any time soon since its relatively high
efficiency and builtin bad sector avoidance design are stil useful for boot
image stroage.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology