Subject: Re: Porting Guide
To: None <port-arm@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ignatios Souvatzis <is@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/12/2004 18:04:20
On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:40:31PM +0800, Jason Maestri wrote:
>   Okay, so this might be a dumb question, but here goes.  I am currently
> porting NetBSD to an embedded ARM board.  NetBSD always touts itself as being
> "the worlds most portable operating system", but I've never seen any actual
> documentation on porting it.  Am I just not looking in the right places?

For the general idea, read
http://2002.eurobsdcon.org/papers/ushakov.ps

For more details,

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/, there look especially at the
Device Driver Writing Guide and the Kernel Programming FAQ.

Most NetBSD kernel interfaces written in modern times have a man
page in chapter 9. You'll probably need to read pmap(9), bus_space(9)
and bus_dma(9) when porting to a new architecture, although often
(that is, with a same-cpu port) you'll be able to use an existing
port as a guideline, and maybe able to call shared code ...

Regards,
	-is