Subject: Re: port windows CE code onto netbsd
To: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@netbsd.org>
From: Kamal R. Prasad <kamalp@kprasad.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 11/03/2004 17:21:10
Richard Earnshaw wrote:

>On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 18:11, Kamal R. Prasad wrote:
>

>>Hello,
>>
>> I have a 3rd party hardware connecting to an X scale hw through a usb port.
>>The hw comes with winCE static libraries in binary form compiled for ARM.
>>[They have src code for the driver to talk to the 3rd party hw which I
>>should be able to port to netbsd.] I want to skip using windows CE and
>>install netbsd instead on the Xscale hardware. But I am not sure if I
>>can somehow(??) run the winCE binaries on netbsd once it has been ported
>>to Xscale.
>>
>>Can someone give me a clue if what Im attempting is feasible and how to
>>go about doing it?
>>

>I'm not aware that it's been done before.  You'd probably want something
>akin to 'wine' for ARM.  I don't know if anybody is working on such a
>thing.
>
>Try poking around on www.winehq.com (enter wince in the search box).
>
>R.

Alright -thanks for the same. Wine as I understand provides a gui to
handle windows emulation [by intercepting winapi calls]. What I have is
a couple of static libraries developed on windows, but which need to be
called by a higher level application.  The static libraries contain std
C functions like malloc() -and no winapi calls and hence Wine is not a
good fit.  But the question is, how do we integrate that binary with
netbsd code? Note the static libs are in binary form to protect
intellectual property -but if I had the src code, it would have been
100% portable on netbsd.

thanks & regards
-kamal