Subject: find/du hangs on shark
To: None <port-arm@NetBSD.org>
From: Hal Murray <hmurray@suespammers.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/25/2004 18:32:08
I've got a shark with a laptop disk installed.  It's running NetBSD 1.6

A while ago, it started hanging at 3AM.  I assumed that's the cron jobs.

I thought that started because I had installed some new software (ntp-4.2.0
and PPS_SYNC option in kernel) so I backed out of that, or at least thought I
did.  That didn't help.

That was several months ago.  I finally made time to investigate more.

It hangs if I run:
    find / -name asdfrasdf

I've seen find and/or du hang in /usr/src/sys, /usr/old-pkgsrc, /usr/src
It seems to fail on large directories, but maybe that's a wild goose.

Is this a known quirk?  Any simple workaround?  Time to update to 1.6.2 and
see what happens?