Subject: Re: 1.6.2 on Shark: install kernel problem
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 03/29/2004 12:19:21
> In article <20040328185017.GA2239@beverly.kleinbus.org>
> is@netbsd.org wrote:
>
> > the provided binary install kernel doesn't boot on my Shark... did
> > anybody else succeed?
>
> netbsd.INSTALL.gz of 1.6.1 and 1.6.2 fails during boot with
> "Data Abort" message from OFW prompt on my Funai's DNARD terminal.
> On the other hand, netbsd.INSTALL.gz of 1.6 works fine.

How early on is this?  Before the first NetBSD copyright message?

On cat's machines you sometimes get something like that (dies before doing
anything at all) because objcopy has corrupted the a.out version of the
kernel.  Take a close look at the objdump -h output for both netbsd and
netbsd.aout: pay particular attention to where the bss segment is placed.

R.