Subject: Re: no /dev/console or panic: Prefetch abort in non-USR mode (was )
To: Chris Budd <budd_iq80321@hotmail.com>
From: Steve Woodford <scw@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/26/2004 14:17:35
On Monday 26 January 2004 2:00 pm, Chris Budd wrote:

> Mount_mfs does not appear in the base.tgz that I downloaded from
> netbsd.org; the only place I have seen it is the base.tgz on the 1.6F
> Wasabi CD that came with the iq80321.  Here is the listing from my
> 1.6.1 downloaded and extracted tarball; no mount_mfs:

Hmm. Would I be right in thinking you extracted the tarfiles on a
Windows box? If so, it's not surprising that things like mount_mfs
don't exist. On a native unix file-system, mount_mfs is hard-linked to
newfs_ffs. NTFS/FAT doesn't support hard links (at least, not that I'm
aware of).

Notice also that the file permissions are completely wrong, and that
other 'hard-linked' files are missing too.

In short, NetBSD cannot boot from an NFS filesystem exported by a
Windows server.

> I am not using this Intel-supplied backplane.  It might help; I'll
> see if I can get one.

I don't think it'll make any difference in this instance.

Don't worry about sending me your kernel now; I forgot you were using
the stock kernels from the ftp site.

Anyhow, can you confirm that you're using Windows as the NFS server?

Cheers, Steve

--

Wasabi Systems Inc. - The NetBSD Company - http://www.wasabisystems.com/