Subject: None
To: None <port-arm@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Budd <budd_iq80321@hotmail.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/22/2004 12:19:19
I have an IQ321 eval board; with it came a NetBSD CD from Wasabi.

When attempting to get the version on the CD to run on the board, I was able
to get the kernel loaded over TFTP, and the root with the remaining sets
mounted over NFS.  However, I got the following error:

root on wm0
nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
nfs_boot: DHCP next-server: 192.168.200.109
nfs_boot: my_addr=192.168.200.200
root on cbudd:/export/client/iq80321
warning: no /dev/console
panic: Prefetch abort in non-USR mode (frame=0xc7b13d30 PC=0x00000008)

Stopped in pid 12 (sh) at       cpu_Debugger+0x10:      ldmdb   r11,
{r11, r13,
15}

Realizing that the version on the CD is old (NetBSD 1.6F (IQ80321) #0: Thu
Aug 22 17:18:41 EDT 2002), I grabbed the 1.6.1 release (NetBSD 1.6.1
(IQ80321) #0: Mon Apr  7 22:31:19 UTC 2003) from NetBSD.org.  Now I do not
get the panic, but I still have problems with no console.

The /dev directory is empty except for the MAKEDEV and MAKEDEV.local files;
therefore, when the diskless NetBSD boots off my NFS server, all is well
until I get a warning about no /dev/console; then there is nothing, but I
know the board is running.  What do I need to do to get a NetBSD console?

root on wm0
nfs_boot: trying DHCP/BOOTP
nfs_boot: DHCP next-server: 192.168.200.109
nfs_boot: my_addr=192.168.200.200
root on cbudd:/export/client/iq80321
warning: no /dev/console

I have scoured the web, and found a suggestion to try "sh MAKEDEV std"; it
no longer warns me about "no console", of course, but I still have no
console after the debug print stops with "root on cbudd".

Any suggestions, references, etc., would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris.

Find high-speed ‘net deals — comparison-shop your local providers here.
https://broadband.msn.com