Subject: RE: Sharp SL-5600
To: 'brook@biology.nmsu.edu' <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Hsu, Cheng-Hsin (Cheng-Hsin) <chs@lucent.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 10/24/2003 08:48:09
I got a SL-5600 as a gift. But I really don't know how to utilize it, probably because I'm too lazy to type with its tiny keyboard or learn how to master hand-writting input.

I tried to look for any possibility to bring up netbsd on SL-5600 last weekend. There are several good news: (1) The Linux driver are open-sourced except the SD/MMC one. (2) There is a bootloader written for Debian-on-Zaurus project in order to switch between Linux from Sharp(on Internal Flash) and Debian(On CF slot).
So far, I haven't got chance to look closer.

Another thing you may want to know is that SL-5500 might be a better choice for netbsd. Because: (1) It's SA based. (2) It has 64 MB ram while SL-5600 has only 32 MB. (3) The performance of SL-5500 is not much worse than SL-5600.

HTH,
Bear.