Subject: Re: HP H5550 handheld support
To: None <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Jachym Holecek <freza@psi.cz>
List: port-arm
Date: 10/22/2003 17:54:10
>  > There is support for the PXA255 processor in the tree, but there are
>  > no drivers for the H5xxx ASIC.
>
> Is there any work on supporting this?
>
>  > The HP/Compaq/DEC bootldr for iPAQs does support booting NetBSD, but
>  > there isn't any one of the NetBSD ports that collects together all the
>  > bits that you would need.
>
> Do you know what those bits might be and how difficult it would be do
> collect them?

Necessary steps are likely to be:

	0) Adapt hpcarm to deal with non-StrongARM CPUs
	1) Reuse PXA255 code from evbarm
	2) Write the machdep code to boot off bootldr
	3) Support H5xxx ASIC, Linux seems to have the code

Anyone knows on which machine is NetBSD loaded with bootldr? All I can
see in hpcarm relies on hpcboot.exe, while evbarm mainly uses redboot...

I have done 0+1 some time ago, but haven't had time since then.

>  > Do you want to keep WinCE on it or replace it ?
>
> As a long-time NetBSD user, I'd just as soon replace it.
>
> If the H5550 is not yet supported, what suggestions do you have about
> similar handhelds that are supported?

AFAIK none of the PXA based PDAs is supported. Only older StrongARM ones.
One reason might be that these small keyboard-less toys are not terribly
useful in real life ;-).

	Regards,
		-- Jachym Holecek