Subject: Re: nbmakefs of evbarm
To: None <port-arm@NetBSD.org>
From: Shoichi Miyake <smi@sm.sony.co.jp>
List: port-arm
Date: 09/04/2003 11:28:15
> All,
>
> 	I'm using a custom borad with IXP1200.
> 	1) In order to mount a ramdisk as root; I use "nbmakefs -t ffs -B be ramdisk.fs dir" to create my image, and use "armeb--netbsdelf-mdsetimage -sv netbsd ramdisk.fs" to plugin my ramdisk. However, without setting LDSTATIC=-static, the kernel always complains there is no file system at md0. (With statical linking, the file system is recognized)...
> 	2) I use evbarm+armeb to build my NetBSD. However, the console output was still in wrong endiness. I explicitly set the processor into big endian mode at the beginning of entry point, and it worked until ramdisk mounting. It appears that all the utilities I compiled are still in wrond endiness in terms of printf output....
> 	Did I overlook anything?

with regard to 2), there seems to be a problem on memcpy and friends
on armeb (please check the port-arm archives in August), so you need a
work around until that would be solved.

I think you have to
[for userland]
- modify lib/libc/arch/arm/Makefile.inc to remove mem{move,cpy}.S from
  KMSRCS
- modify lib/libc/arch/arm/string/Makefile.inc to remove memcpy.S,
  _memcpy.S, memove.S, memset.S, bzero.S out of SRCS,
  and to add memcpy.c, bcopy.c, memmove.c, memset.c, bzero.c into SRCS,
- move lib/libc/arch/arm/string/{_memcpy,bcopy,bzero,mem{cpy,move,set}}.S
  to *.S.XXX
[for kernel]
- modify sys/lib/libkern/arch/arm/Makefile.inc to remove memcmp.S,
  memcpy.S, memset.S, memmove.S out of SRCS,
  and to add memcmp.c, memcpy.c, memset.c, memove.c
- move sys/lib/libkern/arch/arm/{bzero,mem{cmp,cpy,move,set}}.S to
  *.S.XXX.

At leaset, I think you can avoid the problem 2).

> Thanks,
> Bear.

Best Regards,
Shoichi Miyake