Subject: Re: can't profile on Shark
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/26/2003 18:56:38
> On Thu, 26 Jun 2003, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>
> > > and libc_p is missing a __fixunssfsi function which is needed by gmon.o.
> > > libgcc_p (the second instance) provides it, but it doesn't provide
> > > __gesf2; and by that time it's too late to go back and search libc_p.a
> > > again.
> >
> > I've tracked down why these functions aren't in libc, but I've no idea why
> > Ben has removed them from ELF.
>
> They were only provided on ELF systems for an hour and a half in July
> 2000, and that was because I'd made a mistake.  Thus, the question isn't
> why I removed them, but why I didn't provide them in the first place.
>
> As far as I can tell, I asked what I should do on tech-toolchain in August
> 2000[1], and Todd Vierling replied[2]:
>
> # If you need it in order to support -msoft-float, and compiling libc does
> # _not_ generate references to it, simply enable its generation in libgcc,
> # unconditionally--it just won't be used by a program that doesn't need it.

OK.  I guess I can buy that (though it's quite possible that the one in
libgcc will duplicate a lot of code that is already in our soft-float
implementation (and it may also be quite a lot slower).  So I guess the
right approach here is to just fix gmon.c so that it uses the non-fp
variant, as was probably always the intention (see other post on this
thread).

R.