Subject: Re: Is it possible to build Xscale kernel on i386 platform?
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Valeriy E. Ushakov <uwe@ptc.spbu.ru>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/19/2003 15:29:33
On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:36:21 +0200, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> please elaborate:
>
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 12:10:33PM +0400, Valeriy E. Ushakov wrote:
>
> > . short path name of the netbsd src tree, lest you bump into rather
> >   small MAX_ARGS.  E.g. /export/netbsd/cvs/src is too long, so i just
> >   mount it as /nb/src - which is ok.  This is a fundamental limitation
> >   of the
>
> FreeBSD
>
> > OS.
> 	or of NetBSD, or of both?

Doh.  Of FreeBSD (and MacOS X as well).  They have just 64K for args +
environment and some toolchaing GNU makefiles that pass around huge
argument lists (that end up in both args and env) overflow this easily
(even with Jason's make -X hack).

Sorry, I should have been more specific, but this has already been
discussed so I omitted too much of the context.

SY, Uwe