Subject: Re: Shouldn't we compile kernels at least without StrongARM
To: Ignatios Souvatzis <ignatios@theory.cs.uni-bonn.de>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 01/24/2003 10:59:36
> Hi,
>
> as all of you know, StrongARM optimized 1.6 compiled kernels tend to random
> hangs.

Well I wasn't aware of that (though I'm running current rather than 1.6).
Where's the relevant PR?

> Shouldn't we compile kernels without archv4 and strongarm optimizations
> until the compiler is fixed?

How do you know it's the compiler?  If it's a random behaviour, then my
first suspicion would be that it's some sort of timing issue (or cache
related).  Compiler errors generally lead to repeatable problems.  There
was a lot of hacking on the pmap in the run up to 1.6, and it wouldn't
surprise me in the least if that wasn't the cause of your problems.

R.