Subject: Re: WSCONS and X
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 11/22/2002 22:18:39
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:13:07 +0000
Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> In message <20021122215153.082f7f3a.chris@dokein.co.uk>
>           Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:37:17 +0000
> > Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> > > A vastly improved installation over the 1.5, 1.4, 1.3 and 1.2
> > > install procedures. Well done.
> > > My only problem was establishing what I needed to do to the
> > > fastboot file to stop it bombing with a comment 'Bad disklabel'
> > > Turned out to be comment out all lines referring to mountufs.
> >
> > hmmm, what disk did you install on?  Is this the new bootloader?
>
> I tried on ADFS::5, then noticed a comment in the notes talking
> about requiring the first drive on a device, so I then tried
> ADFS::4.
>
> The problem is that
> If "%*0" = "" Then Run <BtNetBSD$Dir>.native.mountufs ADFS 4
>
> Bombs on a non ufs formatted drive, which a brand new install
> disk will be prior to sysinst working its magic.
> I commented it out, and away it went.

hmmmm, we are trying to improve this area, the bootloader improved in
some ways, but has got worse in others...

> > I'd not recommend KDE 3 on a riscpc, it's slow enough on a cats (And
> > that's faster than a riscpc)  I'd say take a look through the wm dir
> > of pkgsrc, rox might suit you well if you're used to risc os.
>
> Will KDE2 or 3 build on a RiscPC?

Should do, but I suspect that you'll find it painfully slow.  (it's
painful on my cats, but has got better on the cats since I reworked some
code)

> > But it does depend if you have the time and bandwidth to download
> > and build.
>
> Got broadband - that's how I installed it, ftp directly from the
> NetBSD ftp site. Worked brilliant!

Ahh, well I suspect the other person to poke is another chris, he's got
the big moutain of arm packages, however I've not seen him recently,
I'll ping him and see if he plans to upload them soon.

Chris