Subject: Re: WSCONS and X
To: None <chris@dokein.co.uk>
From: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 11/22/2002 22:13:07
In message <20021122215153.082f7f3a.chris@dokein.co.uk>
          Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:37:17 +0000
> Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> > 	I have just successfully installed NetBSD1.6/acorn32
> > on my RiscPC.
>
> 8)
>
> > A vastly improved installation over the 1.5, 1.4, 1.3 and 1.2
> > install procedures. Well done.
> > My only problem was establishing what I needed to do to the
> > fastboot file to stop it bombing with a comment 'Bad disklabel'
> > Turned out to be comment out all lines referring to mountufs.
>
> hmmm, what disk did you install on?  Is this the new bootloader?

I tried on ADFS::5, then noticed a comment in the notes talking
about requiring the first drive on a device, so I then tried
ADFS::4.

The problem is that
If "%*0" = "" Then Run <BtNetBSD$Dir>.native.mountufs ADFS 4

Bombs on a non ufs formatted drive, which a brand new install
disk will be prior to sysinst working its magic.
I commented it out, and away it went.

> > Some questions:
> > wscons seems to be broken with a resolution of 800x600. The characters
> > are not formed correctly - looks like a bit shift, and there
> > is shimmering of the characters to. 1024x768 is fine. Is there
> > a fix for this?
> >
> > What do people use for their X environment - I notice that the
> > packages available include KDE1.1, no newer ones, and no gnome.
> > What is a good alternative?
>
> I'd not recommend KDE 3 on a riscpc, it's slow enough on a cats (And
> that's faster than a riscpc)  I'd say take a look through the wm dir of
> pkgsrc, rox might suit you well if you're used to risc os.

Will KDE2 or 3 build on a RiscPC?

> But it does depend if you have the time and bandwidth to download and
> build.

Got broadband - that's how I installed it, ftp directly from the
NetBSD ftp site. Worked brilliant!

--