Subject: Re: WSCONS and X
To: Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 11/22/2002 21:51:53
On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 21:37:17 +0000
Chris Cowdery <chris@cowdery.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi All,
> 	I have just successfully installed NetBSD1.6/acorn32
> on my RiscPC.

8)

> A vastly improved installation over the 1.5, 1.4, 1.3 and 1.2
> install procedures. Well done.
> My only problem was establishing what I needed to do to the
> fastboot file to stop it bombing with a comment 'Bad disklabel'
> Turned out to be comment out all lines referring to mountufs.

hmmm, what disk did you install on?  Is this the new bootloader?

> Some questions:
> wscons seems to be broken with a resolution of 800x600. The characters
> are not formed correctly - looks like a bit shift, and there
> is shimmering of the characters to. 1024x768 is fine. Is there
> a fix for this?
>
> What do people use for their X environment - I notice that the
> packages available include KDE1.1, no newer ones, and no gnome.
> What is a good alternative?

I'd not recommend KDE 3 on a riscpc, it's slow enough on a cats (And
that's faster than a riscpc)  I'd say take a look through the wm dir of
pkgsrc, rox might suit you well if you're used to risc os.

But it does depend if you have the time and bandwidth to download and
build.

Cheers,
Chris