Subject: Re: l1ptwait
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha@arm.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 11/19/2002 13:13:02
> I seem to have a stack of processes all stuck in l1ptwait - what does this
> mean? (RiscPC nfs mounting server, programs run in nfs mounted directory
> are stuck, but that could just be coincidence as they were started last..)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Patrick

It means you've got too many programs trying to fork and not enough
memory[1] to support it.

You can either try to reduce the number of processes trying to run, or you
can try building a kernel that reserves more L1 pagetables.  Finally, you
can add more memory to the machine.

R.

[1]  More precisely, not enough sets of 4 pages of 16k aligned memory,
which is what is needed for the L1 page tables.