Subject: Re: shared X binaries etc
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@dokein.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 10/07/2002 00:07:45
On Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:47:37 +0100
"Chris Gilbert" <chris@dokein.co.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering about the possibility of switching the shared X binaries
> (the libs and client stuff) over to being XF 4 based.
>
> cats has moved over to XF4, I'm hoping that shark will be following suit
> soon, either cos I'll add something to fetch from the kernel and cats and
> shark can then share binaries, or someone will just do a hacky cludge and
> change some values for the shark ;)

Actually (as has been pointed out to me) it's not just a matter of plugging in the right bits for shark. I didn't actually realise (not having, and not really having looked at the shark code) but it's not pci based, so it really won't just work for shark.  It really needs someone with a shark to take up the gauntlet of porting from 3.3.6 to 4.x.

However it maybe worth checking if we can build 3.3.6 X server with 4.x libs.

What we really need some kind of generic solution for X (as has been suggested and I think other have in the past/are working on)

Chris