Subject: Re: 1.6_BETA3 /cats crashing
To: None <david@flossy.u-net.com>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/03/2002 07:24:06
On Wed, 2002-07-03 at 01:05, david@flossy.u-net.com wrote:
> > Could you also try a kernel that doesn't have tlp but instead has de in
> > it?
>
> I was just composing a jubilant email about how with de it was now sustaining load levels > 7.  However, after a short time, it fell over again, same error.  That said, the machine is rarely at the sort of load level anyway, so I can't be sure that this is new to 1.6.  Let me run it for a while at a lower load and see what happens.
>
> ..okay, so it finished building pine whilst I was browsing the web, but when I started another pkg build, it fell over again at a much lower load average.  I've tried getting a trace, but its a long time since I last did this - I was expecting a list of fn calls, but I get a set of register dumps instead.  Have I forgotten to include a symbol table or something, or have things changed?

yes symbol support has changed because the kernels are now ELF and the
cats firmware doesn't support netbsd ELF kernels, you need to add a bit
of magic to the kernel, something like:
makeoptions     DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table
options         SYMTAB_SPACE=300000

should do the trick, this embeds the symbols directly into the kernel,
rather than as an ELF section.  (note if the size isn't big enough it'll
tell you so)

Chris