Subject: Re: ARM ELF ABI: consensus?
To: None <port-arm@netbsd.org>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/10/2002 21:07:28
On Mon, Apr 08, 2002 at 02:15:06PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

 > Ok.  An update on this.

...and the plot thickens.

 > I submitted the necessary changes back to the FSF binutils folks, and
 > got *significant* push-back.  They seem to strongly disagree with using
 > the EI_OSABI field for this.
 >
 > So, what should we do?  Should we back out these changes in our source
 > tree?  If so, we should decide quick before the 1.6 branch is actually
 > created.

I just noticed another problem with this.  The new elf32-arm-nbsd
target doesn't grok our ELF core files, because they're dumped with
EI_OSABI == 0 (the kernel doesn't really know any better).

Right now, I'm inclined to back out the EI_OSABI == ELFOSABI_NETBSD
change, in light of the pushback from FSF and this gdb lossage.