Subject: Re: acorn32, cats, shark ports switch to ELF
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Mike Pumford <mpumford@black-star.demon.co.uk>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/05/2002 19:43:36
> A major upshot of the transition is that snapshots and releases (modulo X)
> can be entirely cross-build (hopefully on a fast machine) without needing
> to be root.  The process is entirely unprivileged.  See the BUILDING file
> in the top of the source tree for more information.

Appears to work nicely :-). Just built an acorn32 ELF tree cross compiled on a
NetBSD/i386 machine and have successfully booted the kernel.

> ELF snapshots for acorn32, cats, and shark will be available shortly,
> along with instructions for transitioning your system from a.out to ELF.

Is the library copying specified in the ELF FAQ sufficient to maintain a.out
compatibility? I have a lot of a.out packages installed and it will take me a
while to update them.

> Please watch this space for snapshot announcements.

I was hoping to get there from source.

Mike