Subject: Re: pmap & ISADMA
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 02/21/2002 15:36:02
On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 11:13:45AM +0000, Ben Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2002, Matt Thomas wrote:
>
> > The right way to fix this is to redo the arguments to pmap_bootstrap.
> >
> > It should be passed an array of the following struct:
> >
> > { int memreg_freelist; paddr_t memreg_start; psize_t memreg_size; }
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to have the caller just register the memory with
> uvm_page_physload() itself, and then have pmap_bootstrap() get back what
> information it needs?  As far as I can see, this is what pmap_bootstrap()
> does internally anyway.

I agree Ben that handling a list might be a bit overkill and that a
repeated function call might make more sense but how would you like to
honour the freelist's ? i.e. a DMA-able, a non DMA-able, an ISA-memory
mapped space etc.  ? thats what started this discussion in the first place.
Isn't it wise to do that freelist management stuff inside the pmap code ?

Cheers,
Reinoud