Subject: Re: ARM Installer work
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/31/2001 14:03:44
On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:

: I've had a bit of a brainstorming session to work out things that may need
: doing. Currently the list is (in no particular order):
: * Make sysinst check the sysctl hw.machine and select the appropriate kernel
: package, and be shared accross all the arm platforms.

Now that each $MACHINE is different, this should *not* be a problem.
Simply share all the base sets (except perhaps etc), just like m68k and
mipsel do, and have the appropriate kern.tgz set with the given $MACHINE
subdir of the release tree.

Because of the different boot methods and system devices of the different
arm systems, each $MACHINE really should have its own src/etc and src/distib
build structure, like any other NetBSD $MACHINE.  Given this, sysinst would
already know which $MACHINE on which it is running, and picking the
appropriate files would Just Work like it does for other $MACHINEs.

: The MAKEDEV file, should we create all the devs that i386 creates?  eg have
: audio create multiple audio* devices and use a symlink to point audio to
: audio0.  Currently MAKEDEV is still very acorn32 biased.

Different $MACHINE, different src/etc/etc.$MACHINE/MAKEDEV.  "Done."

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi & NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- CDs, Integration, Embedding, Support -- http://www.wasabisystems.com/