Subject: Re: ARM ELF TODO list
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 12/20/2001 12:03:19
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:54:46AM +0000, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>  > I've set the compiler up to do this as well.  We need to write kernel code
>  > to fault these sequences on chips that can do so.
>
> I can take a look at this -- the question is:
>
> 	* Do we want the kernel to optionally provide fixups for
> 	  unaligned loads on such systems?

If we did, would we implement the ARM semantics (which ARM hackers would
be expecting) or the VAX semantics (which naive C programmers would be
expecting)?

> 	* Do we want the kernel to be verbose about the unaligned
> 	  load?

I don't see why it should do any more than send a SIGBUS.  The core dump
will have all the necessary information in it, and we already have
kern.logsigexit for controlling whether SIGBUS gets logged.