Subject: Re: SA11x0 support
To: John Fremlin <vii@users.sourceforge.net>
From: Reinoud Zandijk <reinoud@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/27/2001 09:28:13
Hi John and Robert,

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 06:51:37PM +0100, John Fremlin wrote:
> Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk> writes:
> Perhaps the idea should instead be extended to sort of generic "IO
> memory" - on psionw there is some memory that is used for fb (part of
> it can be allocated as normal memory too provided you don't choose
> 4bpp). It'd be nice if (a) that memory could be used and (b) that it
> would only be used as a last resort to make it easier to switch to
> 4bpp at runtime.

Same for the RiscPC/A7000's ... the screen memory can be used as normal
memory too but really also only have to be used as a last resort for memory
... i.e. memory that can allways easily be swapped out... i.e. non locked
text code ... ??

> I don't like the pmap_bootstrap thing at all as it doesn't really gel
> with where the kernel is loaded on psionw - there is some memory in
> small patches before the kernel as well as the larger lump after it.

Someone was working on a newer pmap ... on the RiscPC my bootloader now
loads the kernel code just after the maximum screen memory or at the
beginning when there is dedicated screen memory. This extra memory at the
beginning could be used for emergency/last resort allocation ...

Cheers,
Reinoud