Subject: Re: Little .vs. Big endian on ARM
To: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/19/2001 10:42:30
On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Matt Thomas wrote:

: >If the answer to both is "yes", it should retain the "arm26" designation,
: >or at worst, go to "armv2" to use the same name as the GNU toolchain.
: >Just calling it "arm", if the binaries are APCS26-only (not APCS32), is
: >going to confuse a whole lot of people.
:
: The library will run on both arm26/arm32 and will not be restricted to
: a 26 bit address space.  If you noticed, the ELF shared lib snapshot I
: supplied work on both Strongarm and arm26 (as confirmed by Ben).

OK, that's the important point.  I haven't reinstalled my shark to test out
the ARM ELF goop just yet.

In that case, I'd say "arm" (for the value of MACHINE_ARCH), unless
big-endian ARM is already popular and well-deployed.  This keeps it
consistent with other OS and tools' perceptions of the architecture name;
there's not pressing reason to diverge further.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/