Subject: Re: building libkvm
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 07/12/2001 13:05:36
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> I have just thought of one way around it, we have an arch and a platform
> symlink inside the arm dir, eg:
> /usr/include/arm
> 	acorn32
> 	arch -> arm26|arm32
> 	arm26
> 	arm32
> 	cats
> 	dnard
> 	netwinder
> 	platform -> acorn32|arm26|cats|dnard|netwinder
>
> What we can then do is have machine/vmparam.h include arm/arch/vmparam.h, the
> arm32 one can then include arm/platform/vmparam.h for the little bit of
> platform specific stuff.
>
> However I'm not sure if this is better or worse, but it should work for all
> cases.  Note that nothing should get included from the platform dir's unless
> _KERNEL is defined, otherwise we may not see bits of userland that are
> platform specific.

Erm, what's the point?  Isn't /usr/include only touched by userland, which
mustn't include anything other that generic ARM include files?  The kernel
has its own mechanisms for getting at include files.  Putting these
symlinks in /usr/include is a serious step backwards, since it makes
/usr/include unshareable, which isn't what we want.