Subject: Re: Advice on adding support for a new Platform
To: Thomas J. Merritt <tjm@codegen.com>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/07/2001 13:15:28
On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Thomas J. Merritt wrote:

> |At the moment, the NetBSD/arm sources are in a state of some upheaval as
> |we try to get the right bits shared between all the ARM ports.
> |sys/arch/arm32 is slowly dying, and stuff moving to the port directories
> |or to sys/arch/arm.  This is a tedious business, so I for one keep finding
> |more interesting things to do, but it's progressing.
>
> How worried should I be about breakage under NetBSD/arm?  I do
> a weekly cvs update of /netbsd.  My last update was June 2nd.

Most of the changes I'm making at the moment are confined to generic ARM
code, so any code for your platform should just carry on working.
I'll occasionally change something that needs mechanical changes to all
the existing ports.  Anything that needs more serious machine-dependent
changes will have to be discussed here anyway, since I don't think anyone
can test things on all the supported platforms.

> I think I'll start by seening if I can get the dnard port to build
> a kernel.  If I get that far, I'll start hacking out irrellevant stuff.

That sounds like a good place to start.