Subject: Re: Map kernel as sections
To: None <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>
From: John Fremlin <vii@users.sourceforge.net>
List: port-arm
Date: 06/05/2001 13:50:54
Robert Swindells <swindellsr@genrad.com> writes:

> >How often does the kernel actually get mapped as a section in
> >practice? I ask because I did (actually I mapped all of physical
> >memory to its physical address with repeated map_section) and
> >pmap_extract blew up

[...]

> It happens whenever you reboot :-)

Ah, but not the whole kernel as sections. That is what I did (mapping
a bit more of non-kernel physical memory as well because the kernel
doesn't fit exactly), without a kernel page table at all, and the boot
process stopped after telling me how many buffers I had.

When I map the kernel (and a bit more) as pages, including mapping the
pagetable in the pagetable area, it gets much further down - all the
way to "psionwbus0 at mainbus0rtc0 at psionwbus0 addr xxx-xxx" (whoops
missed a newline somewhere)

Then I get a prefetch abt in non-user mode, but that's probably got a
more mundane explanation than mmu issues.

[...]

--

	http://ape.n3.net