Subject: Re: delay patch
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
List: port-arm
Date: 04/21/2001 15:36:48
On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:

> Do you mean it should make use of it's own timer?  the delay code in the
> patch uses microtime to track the clock timer.  The calibrated loop is only
> used for small quantities of time.

Microtime is quite heavyweight, it has to be said, since it provides
absolute time (so it has to read "time"), and has to convert between clock
ticks and microseconds (which is easy for us with 2MHz clocks, but might
be harder for other systems).  It certainly looked to me like the current
hpcarm delay() was rather lighter than our one, so we do need a way to let
ports define their own.