Subject: Re: RISCServer 4200
To: , <port-mips@netbsd.org>
From: Toru Nishimura <locore32@gaea.ocn.ne.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/16/2004 21:54:15
Zach Lowry zach@zachlowry.net asked

> 3. ) Since I expect this thing to boot soon, my next project is
> tackling SMP support for -arc, as well as adding support for the EISA
> bus and my DPT RAID card in this beast. Is there anyone out there
> that'd like to give me a few pointers on what all needs to be done to
> make this port SMP-capable?

TLB shootdown logic must be completed before SMP is realized.  It's
done by IPI (Inter-Processor-Interrupt).  When process address space
is getting modified (making COW condition, unmap of address space
portion, or probably process termination), kernel must tell each
processor to manage TLB by sending IPI.  Every processor responds
for the request to make sure its own TLB has no defunct entry.  This
operation is called "TLB shootdown."

NetBSD/alpha is SMP-capable and its pmap.c logic would be pretty
similar to MIPS pmap.c to be written.

Toru Nishimura/ALKYL Technology