Subject: Re: RISCServer 4200
To: None <port-arc@netbsd.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/01/2004 19:48:28
In article <28C9DA00-5460-11D8-A3AB-0003939563FA@zachlowry.net>
zach@zachlowry.net wrote:

> 1. ) Will the ARC Firmware pass a "console=com1" parameter to the
> kernel with the "Run a program" menu option? It doesn't seem to pay any
> attention to that flag, if it does. Perhaps my kernel is borked?

You can specify the parameters on Run a program menu like this:

 scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk()partition(1)netbsd OSLOADOPTIONS=s

See sys/arch/arc/arc/machdep.c:mach_init() function
for other options.

> 2. ) It seems like in the list that someone said video on the 2200 was
> fixed. I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the 4200 uses the same video
> subsystem as the 2200, but perhaps at a different location. Does video
> work or not?

I guess 4200 has a different video from 2200 and etc.
arcdiag output might help, but I think it has VXL based
video and it is not supported yet. (no hardware info?)

> 3. ) Since I expect this thing to boot soon, my next project is
> tackling SMP support for -arc, as well as adding support for the EISA
> bus and my DPT RAID card in this beast. Is there anyone out there
> that'd like to give me a few pointers on what all needs to be done to
> make this port SMP-capable? It is my understanding that a majority of
> the code is shared with other MIPS projects, like pmap.c, but I don't
> really know of any other MIPS SMP machines that are supported.

Unfortunately, as far as I know no one is working on SMP support
for NetBSD/mips (not only arc), and maybe it requires a lot of work.

EISA support should be trivial and it is on my TODO list
(I also has Express5800/240 with EISA DPT RAID), but
no work is done yet...

There is some code for EISA interrupts for NEC machines
in sys/arch/arc/pci/necpb.c, so I guess only thing we have
to do is implement some machine specific EISA part like
alpha and i386 etc.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp