Subject: Re: NetBSD question
To: None <beekerc@chinn.org>
From: M. Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
List: port-arc
Date: 12/23/2001 23:36:08
: wow.  i thought this thread had been forgotten about.  thanks for the reply
: so, aside from NT v3.51, what other OS can you run on this platform?
: well, can you do me a favor and let me know if you can get it to work or
: NetBSD comes out with a working model?

OpenBSD 2.4 or so still runs on the machine :-).  I have a Deskstation
rPC44, iirc.  They only ever produced a few models.  We don't support
the cool Rapture line (of which I've never actually seen any extant
models.  The Deskstaiton Tyne likely is in a similar position as the
rPC44, but may need one or two addition DMA tweaks since the Tyne can
only DMA to a small area of special, fast SRAM.

My biggest problem is that I cannot boot from cdrom.  Well, I cannot
make cdroms with mkisofs that the machine will recognize as legit.  So
I have to do strange things with hard drives so that I can boot off of
them.  I wish I had two ZIP drives...  Hmm, maybe now that they are
inexpensive, I should try this path.

I'm not sure that I can act as a reliable notification service.
However, if you subscribe to port-arc, I'd certainly announce anything
like this there.

Warner