Subject: Re: New SONIC driver
To: None <imp@harmony.village.org>
From: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
List: port-arc
Date: 07/04/2001 20:51:16
In article <200107040603.f6463GK48612@harmony.village.org>
imp@harmony.village.org writes:

> In message <20010703225932.Q23394@dr-evil.shagadelic.org> Jason R Thorpe writes:
> : ...based on the NetBSD/mac68k driver (which doesn't do DMA direct to
> : mbufs for any variant) in turn based on Algorithmics driver, which is
> : what I was trying to get away from. :-)
>
> The point I was trying to make was that sonic parts are on many
> different busses, not that the FreeBSD driver is a paragon of virtue.

Jason said that the FreeBSD driver was based on NetBSD/pc98 code,
which was based on NetBSD/mac68k version, which came from
the Algorithmics driver, which we currently use on all ports.
FreeBSD's sys/dev/snc/dp83932.c has the following comment:
---
/*
 * Modified for FreeBSD(98) 4.0 from NetBSD/pc98 1.4.2 by Motomichi Matsuzaki.
 */

/*
 * Modified for NetBSD/pc98 1.2G from NetBSD/mac68k 1.2G by Kouichi Matsuda.
 * Make adapted for NEC PC-9801-83, 84, PC-9801-103, 104, PC-9801N-25 and
 * PC-9801N-J02, J02R, which uses National Semiconductor DP83934AVQB as
 * Ethernet Controller and National Semiconductor NS46C46 as
 * (64 * 16 bits) Microwire Serial EEPROM.
 */

/*
 * National Semiconductor  DP8393X SONIC Driver
 * Copyright (c) 1991   Algorithmics Ltd (http://www.algor.co.uk)
 * You may use, copy, and modify this program so long as you retain the
 * copyright line.
 *
 * This driver has been substantially modified since Algorithmics donated
 * it.
 *
 *   Denton Gentry <denny1@home.com>
 * and also
 *   Yanagisawa Takeshi <yanagisw@aa.ap.titech.ac.jp>
 * did the work to get this running on the Macintosh.
 */
---

Anyway, we need a real MI driver rather than bunch of quick hack ;-p
even if it requires bus_dma(9) implementation for each bus/port.
It should also help many other drivers/ports.
---
Izumi Tsutsui
tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp