Subject: Re: nec R2200 video support?
To: Shuichiro URATA <ur@a-r.org>
From: bob meader <bob@cci.net>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/19/2001 18:51:28
> RISCserver2200 firmware uses GD5428 in 8bpp bitmap mode.
> MI ISA VGA driver is for VGA text mode, so it doesn't work.
>
> There are 2 ways to solve.
> 1. Reprogram GD5428 to VGA text mode.
> 2. Write bitmap console driver.

Well I did some checking today about switching the gd5428 totext mode 3 (color
text 9x14 standard vga mode) and discovered
on a old DDK cdrom for nt3.51 I had the source to 'cirrus'
driver . Bit of a suprise to me that I had it ! Anyway I
found in the file cldata.c the tables containing the initilization
sequence to all the mode the cirrus chip supports.  I
found the section for the text modes and discover
an "ifdef __X86_" followed by a comment saying
no text modes on non-intel platforms.

So I guess we going to have todo option number 2
"Write bitmap console driver".