Subject: Re: really stupid newbie needs lots of help
To: grayspace <grayspace@yahoo.com>
From: Shuichiro URATA <ur@a-r.org>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/16/2001 16:32:04
Hi,

I'm running NetBSD on my RISCstation 2250.

At Thu, 15 Feb 2001 13:19:52 -0800 (PST),
grayspace wrote:
> Questions:
> 1) What's the first step in getting NetBSD up and
> running on my NEC machine? Some docs I looked at seem
> to indicate that it needs to be booted from the
> network via NFS, i barely know what this means, and
> I'm not sure it's possible with the configuration I
> want, nor do I know how to get the NEC machine to boot
> from a network.

There is no installer yet, and internal SCSI interface is not
supported yet officially.

I'm working on SCSI issue and now very experimental driver exists.
If you want to install NetBSD without installer and play with it,
I can provide bootable ISO image to you.

> 2) What are the other steps :), or once I'm started,
> where can I go for documentation to help me (both to
> proceed towards my desired setup, and to understand
> wtf I'm actually doing)?

http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/ and online man page
will help you.

---