Subject: really stupid newbie needs lots of help
To: None <port-arc@netbsd.org>
From: grayspace <grayspace@yahoo.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/15/2001 13:19:52
Hello, I am a useless tit who only ever used Unix in
university, and didn't really get into it. Furthermore
I'm almost completely lame when it comes to knowing
network stuff. So here's my question:

Currently I have two machines sitting on an ethernet.
One is a PII based PC running Windows-98-SE, the other
is a NEC RiscStation2250 currently running MS-Windows
NT4.0. Since I have only one ethernet card per
machine, I evilly have my network configured as
follows: Internet Connection (ADSL using PPPoE) plugs
into uplink of a hub, both computers plug into hub as
well. I share Internet Connection using ICS via my PC
(local adapter as 'original' adapter for my ethernet
card, internet adapter as fake PPPoE adpater
'enternet' software setup adds; this is working just
fine so far), and I share files/devices using
microsoft networking. I am not using DHCP, but static
IPs for my local network. Okay, so much of this
information is useless, but I just want ppl to know
what my setup is in case it's important.

There is little or *no* software for my NEC machine
(which was given as a gift). Eventually, I would like
to use my NEC machine as a gateway rather than my PC,
but for now my primary concern is to install an OS on
it for which I can still find software (particularly a
compiler to start). So this is where NetBSD comes in.

Like I said, I am completely tit useless when it comes
to most of this stuff, but what I would like initially
is the following setup:

- NetBSD running on NEC machine
- Window95-ME(not NT or 2000) running on PC
- devices on one machine can be mounted/used on the
other in both directions
- both machines can see the internet via my ADSL
connection

NOTE: I don't want to run UNIX on my PC as I am a PC
developer and I only have one PC at home, although I
would consider running windows 2000 professional or
server (or whatever happens when u install both) or
any variant of the Windows95 OS (98/98SE/ME)

Questions:
1) What's the first step in getting NetBSD up and
running on my NEC machine? Some docs I looked at seem
to indicate that it needs to be booted from the
network via NFS, i barely know what this means, and
I'm not sure it's possible with the configuration I
want, nor do I know how to get the NEC machine to boot
from a network.

2) What are the other steps :), or once I'm started,
where can I go for documentation to help me (both to
proceed towards my desired setup, and to understand
wtf I'm actually doing)?

I apologise that my questions are vague and lacking
precision and I am more than willing to spend hours
pouring over documentation and papers. The thing is,
I'm *very* new to all this stuff and I don't really
even know where to start, so *any*
help/advice/direction would definitely *not* be
wasted, and would certainly be appreciated!

thanks!

grayspace.