Subject: Re: another interesting observation...
To: bob meader <bob@cci.net>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/09/2001 19:06:02
On Fri, Feb 09, 2001 at 03:15:24PM -0800, bob meader wrote:
> You might try building a simple 'hello world' program
> ( in order to replace the '/sbin/init' )as test to check
> if fork and execve work ok...
> It's possible init starts but is hanging reading the filesystem.

I've just cross-compiled init, and the first time it actually came up,
prompted me for the shell, I hit enter, then it hung.
I entered DDB, and "ps" showed that the forked process actually execve'd
to "sh", and "tset" was now running but completely hung.  This is the
furthest I've gotten, but it was a fluke and never happened again.
I get the same behavior as before, init just loops forever and nothing
happens.  I really wish we had trace/u in DDB, but alas.

I stuck a printf before and after the "setctty" function call, but saw
nothing.  I then stuck a printf at the beginning of main(), but I don't
see that either.  And nothing ends up in /var/run/log, nor does the access
time of /dev/console change.  I suspect something more sinister is wrong
with the kernel.  I've tried two different machines as nfs servers, and get
the same results with init.  I can mount the share just fine on any of my
machines, so I highly doubt there's an nfs problem.  Plus, the fact that
the Magnum is no longer ping-able after init starts up is highly suspect!

-Mark