Subject: Re: my diffs for Magnum
To: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/07/2001 21:59:10
In message <20010207231425.S11656@mail.radicalmedia.com> Mark Abene writes:
: I don't ever recall seeing anything on the serial ports when trying to use
: ARC without a video card.  The LED on the motherboard just goes berzerk and
: the machine totally fails early on in POST.

OK.  I know that the magnums have their own, funky video card that you
can't just replace with a good old ISA/EISA VGA video card.  I thought
I'd read somewhere that you could do this.  Now that I'm scratching my
head, there may have been a jumper involved.  I don't have a magnum,
so I can't try it out.

: You CAN use ARC on a serial console however, which is what I do.  You just
: change the CONSOLEIN and CONSOLEOUT environment variables.  But you do need
: the video card and keyboard to do this, and you must leave them connected
: in order for ARC to pass POST.

My Deskstation rPC44 is like this.

Warner