Subject: Re: my diffs for Magnum
To: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/07/2001 23:14:25
On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 09:04:09PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <200102080333.MAA24167@dec146.aist-nara.ac.jp> Toru
> Nishimura writes:
> : > I'm hoping more people will try my code on their Magnums and post their
> : > results!
> :
> : I have one which has no video card, which means no luck to boot it off.
>
> I thought I'd read in the Linux groups that such machines will squirt
> BIOS stuff out the serial port.  Is that incorrect?
>
> Warner

I don't ever recall seeing anything on the serial ports when trying to use
ARC without a video card.  The LED on the motherboard just goes berzerk and
the machine totally fails early on in POST.

You CAN use ARC on a serial console however, which is what I do.  You just
change the CONSOLEIN and CONSOLEOUT environment variables.  But you do need
the video card and keyboard to do this, and you must leave them connected
in order for ARC to pass POST.

-Mark