Subject: Re: my diffs for Magnum
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/07/2001 20:47:43
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 10:42:51AM +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> >> /dev/console might be messed up.  Is it correctly made?
> >>
> >> Tohru Nishimura
> >
> > Yes, "sh MAKEDEV all" was run in dev on the nfs server.
> >
> > /home/marduk/dev:ziggurat# ls -lu console
> > crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,   0 Feb  7 18:08 console
> > /home/marduk/dev:ziggurat#
> >
> > The access time isn't changing on /dev/console, so I doubt init is even
> > getting that far when it tries to fork a shell.
>
> The process seems blocked to proceed to open /dev/console before exec'ing
> initial /bin/sh.  Something wrong is in console driver.
>
> Tohru Nishimura

But once init DID create /bin/sh, but that process hung before giving me a
prompt.  "ps" in DDB proved that.  But most of the time, init has trouble
forking new processes.
Besides, the pica and olivetti share the same serial console driver as the
magnum.  And the serial console works fine to type in nfs boot options, etc.

-Mark