Subject: Re: my diffs for Magnum
To: Toru Nishimura <nisimura@itc.aist-nara.ac.jp>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/07/2001 20:38:26
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 09:55:21AM +0900, Toru Nishimura wrote:
> > I just tried running "a:netbsd -s" in ARC, and I
> > actually got "Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh:" but when I hit
> > return, nothing happens.  If I break to DDB at this point, it shows me being
> > in "sh"!  What the heck is going on?  Am I forgetting to set something up
> > in this nfs root?
>
> /dev/console might be messed up.  Is it correctly made?
>
> Tohru Nishimura

Yes, "sh MAKEDEV all" was run in dev on the nfs server.

/home/marduk/dev:ziggurat# ls -lu console
crw-------  1 root  wheel    0,   0 Feb  7 18:08 console
/home/marduk/dev:ziggurat#

The access time isn't changing on /dev/console, so I doubt init is even
getting that far when it tries to fork a shell.  And most times I check,
the execve in init doesn't seem to be happening either.  Something about
init is very unhappy.

-Mark