Subject: Re: Risc Server 2200 and Risc Server Express boot image.
To: bob meader <bob@cci.net>
From: Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
List: port-arc
Date: 02/07/2001 15:57:02
In message <3A81CDC9.58BAAFB8@cci.net> bob meader writes:
: Currently console must be serial ... missing
: information about video display to make driver work...
: anyone have detailed hardware infomation about
: cirrus display chip as 'wired' in RiscServer (ie its memory adrress
: and video buffer address ?).

I can't give you anything direct, however, I can suggest sources of
information.  First, the ARC bios defines a configuration tree that
has all kinds of useful information.  Linux/mips used to read this
whole tree and then export it via the filesystem somehow.  If
NetBSD/arc were to do this, we'd need to do what they do and read the
whole thing early in the boot process and then later present it to the
user.  BSD would likely present this as a sysctl tree, but I'm not
sure how dynamic NetBSD allows this tree to be (I know there were some
recent commits to FreeBSD to make sysctl more dynamic).  If you need
it, you can find out about this config information in the arc bios
standard at
	http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/download/respec/riscspec.zip

If that route doesn't work, it has been shown in recent court cases
that copying for the purpose of reverse engineering and
interoperability is allowed.  You could look at what the NT drivers
for your machine do.  cygwin supports PE format on mips, iirc, and it
comes with a decent disassembler.

Warner