Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000-PC fails to boot
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 11/10/2000 01:35:37
On Thu, Nov 09, 2000 at 10:27:34PM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 01:09:10AM -0500, Mark Abene wrote:
>
>  > OK, do me a favor.  In arch/mips/mips/locore.S, find _splnone, and change:
>  >
>  >         li      v0, (MIPS_INT_MASK | MIPS_SR_INT_IE)
>  >
>  > to read:
>  >
>  >         li      v0, ((MIPS_INT_MASK & ~MIPS_INT_MASK_4)| MIPS_SR_INT_IE)
>
> Okay, I'll try this out tomorrow.
Cool.

> Well, the "cpu0: no L2 cache" is kind of a giveaway :-)  Where is ARCDIAG
> and I'll boot it just to be sure.

You're probably right.  I'll send you ARCDIAG off the list.

> The machine certainly could be a frankenstein -- I got it from a friend
> who used to work at SGI, and it seems to have not-quite-stock ARCSystem
> firmware (unless they all say "SGI version ..." at the top of the screen :-)

Probably not.  That's normal. "ARC Multiboot Version 174 (SGI Version 2.6)"
is probably what you see.  If so, it's a typical Magnum.

> ...perhaps in order to solve this, we'll have to traverse the device
> tree to find the system controller and identify it by the info in
> the tree node?

Unfortunately, the MCT ADR ASIC doesn't show up in the device tree.  The only
way to know which ASIC you have is to pop the hood.  But I'm willing to bet
you have an LSI Logic-made R4230.

-Mark