Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000-PC fails to boot
To: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 11/09/2000 22:27:34
On Fri, Nov 10, 2000 at 01:09:10AM -0500, Mark Abene wrote:

 > OK, do me a favor.  In arch/mips/mips/locore.S, find _splnone, and change:
 >
 >         li      v0, (MIPS_INT_MASK | MIPS_SR_INT_IE)
 >
 > to read:
 >
 >         li      v0, ((MIPS_INT_MASK & ~MIPS_INT_MASK_4)| MIPS_SR_INT_IE)

Okay, I'll try this out tomorrow.

 > both of which use an R4230 MCT ADR.  The Olivetti doesn't suffer from the
 > problem we're seeing, and the interval timer works just fine.  I just had
 > a look at the Olivetti's ARC firmware.  It's different from the Magnum's,
 > but so far I don't see it doing anything out of the ordinary with the
 > interval timer registers.
 > There's also the fact that neither the RISC/OS firmware nor the RISC/OS kernel
 > make use of the interval timer.  They chose to use the on-cpu timer for their
 > clock interrupts.  Maybe they had good reason?  Maybe the R4030/4230 isn't
 > wired up properly on the Magnum?  Or maybe ARC isn't initializing the ASIC
 > to our satisfaction?  We really need to locate the tech manual for the Magnum,
 > which hopefully describes the interrupt mappings, and whether the ASIC's
 > interval timer->INT4 setup isn't totally broken...
 >
 > Let me know what happens.  Also, there's no chance you actually have a 4000SC
 > motherboard in a 4000PC chassis, is there?  Could you check?  I know it's
 > silly, but I want to be sure.  Also, if you could verify that you have a 4230
 > in your machine.

Well, the "cpu0: no L2 cache" is kind of a giveaway :-)  Where is ARCDIAG
and I'll boot it just to be sure.

The machine certainly could be a frankenstein -- I got it from a friend
who used to work at SGI, and it seems to have not-quite-stock ARCSystem
firmware (unless they all say "SGI version ..." at the top of the screen :-)

...perhaps in order to solve this, we'll have to traverse the device
tree to find the system controller and identify it by the info in
the tree node?

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>