Subject: Re: MIPS Magnum 4000-PC fails to boot
To: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
From: Mark Abene <phiber@radicalmedia.com>
List: port-arc
Date: 11/09/2000 07:57:06
On Wed, Nov 08, 2000 at 11:01:55AM -0800, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> Hey folks...
>
> I've managed to get partially around my installation troubles by
> the fact that I have a couple of Zip drives (one SCSI, for the Magnum,
> and one USB, for my laptop).
>
> However, booting the NetBSD kernel, I am losing:
[...]
> [ it hangs hard right here ]
>
> I suppose I'll set up a cross compile environment and try and track it
> down, but does anyone else have any ideas?

My first suggestion is to stick a printf before and after the call
to _splnone() in autoconf.c.  Make sure it isn't an interrupt problem.
This is definitely a 4000PC, not a 4000SC, right?  If you're having the
same INT4 problem as on the 4000SC, I'll wet my pants.  Please let me
know, as the outcome of this test will affect my hypothesis of the 4000SC
problem.

> Also, unrelated, any reason we don't use the ARC console routines for
> console I/O?

That's a perfectly valid question.  Does anyone have the proper documentation
for the ARC syscalls?  I would suspect a lack of documentation is the reason
we currently aren't.

Cheers,
-Mark